… is an interesting question being discused at the Eng-Tips Forum.
I particulary liked this response:
“I can think of about 10 things that undergrad engineers should learn instead of Fortran.
1) How to spell
2) How to make an outline of a report before starting to type
3) How to use Excel the way it’s designed
4) How to turn off MSN while at work
5) How things in their field of interest are manufactured
6) How their employers actually generate income and profit
7) How and where to find which design loads to use
8) What “design requirements” are.
9) How to work with others
10) How to talk to clients
Come to think of it, I have about 15 more, but I need to get to work.”
Needless to say, I heartily endorse Number 3.