I have added a moving load function to the ConBeamU spreadsheet, allowing maximum load actions and deflections to be determined in a continuous beam under the influence of a vehicle defined by a number of point loads. The new version may be downloaded from ConBeamU Download, including full open-source code.
The procedure to use the new function is:
- Define: Beam Segments, Supports, and fixed Distributed and Point Loads, as for the other beam analysis functions:
- Define the moving vehicle loads (axle loads and axle spacing), load factors and output units:
- Define the output actions or deflections required, and their location along the beam, with a two row range of as many columns as required.
- Define the vehicle positions to be analysed with a column of positions of Axle 1 of the vehicle.
- The loads generated for any specified vehicle position may be displayed by entering the vehicle position above the Loads graph:
Bending moments, shear forces and deflections for a 3 span bridge deck under AS 5100 MS1600 loading are illustrated in the graphs below:
For convenience, the input data areas used in the analysis shown have been shaded grey, but the input may be rearranged as desired, and then the MovLoadU function re-enetered, selecting the new ranges.
A summary of the input and output of this, and all the other functions included in the spreadsheet, may be found on the Functions sheet: